Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday Night Rescue Mission

OK, I'm getting a bit tired of this.

The leak in the ceiling is fixed. I don't need any more issues to deal with. So what happens?  The starter on the van decides to quit working.

Cheryl was over at Costco (with Mary) getting fuel and food for the family; she had just finished fueling up, turned the key to start the car, and got the following in response:

*click*
*click*
*click*

Which sounded to me like the starter wasn't working.

She called me from the Costco gas pump.  It was late.  The guy manning the pumps wanted her to leave so that he could shut things down.  So she called me at home, and I called James up from the depths of the basement, and we formed our two-man rescue mission.  We got ropes and tools and all sorts of things from the garage and threw them in the back of the red Subaru and roared off down the road to the rescue.

Arriving at Costco, we confirmed the symptoms (*click* *click* *click*), then attached the rope between the back of the Subaru and the front of the van. Thinking at the very least that we could tow the car over to a convenient parking slot and leave it there overnight until we could arrange proper boarding arrangements, we pulled the van away from the pumps (so the poor guy could shut things down and go home!) toward the parking lot and had stopped just in front of a slot and were about to untie the rope so that James and I could push the car into the parking spot.  Just for giggles, I got in the driver seat and turned the key and - success! - it started up.

So we abandoned our plan to leave the car at Costco.  James and Mary drove the red car home, following their mother and I.  We made it successfully.

And tomorrow, I get to tear the car apart to find out what's going on with the starter!

1 comment:

The Meyer Family said...

I'm so glad you came to our rescue -- again. I had two knights in shining red armor show up to rescue us damsels in distress. Cell phones that work just like Susan's horn.
I love you, Rob.