Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Today is Also Not My Day

We hadn't heard back from the plumbers in regard to the schedule. We had no idea when they were coming. Until today. Because they showed up, suddenly, unannounced. And we were completely taken by surprise.

The premise of our last communication with them was that they would call to arrange a time to begin. Instead, they just showed up. Not a good way to start a business relationship.

Oh, well. We want the basement done. So they got started. Not the guy I had originally talked to. Some other guy. Nice guy, kinda quiet and reserved. Had a few questions about the duct work. Which Cheryl directed to me. I was at work. Which doesn't work when there are questions to be answered about duct work that I cannot see.

So I came home and talked to the guy. Tried to help him figure out what needed to be done. Simple enough. Route this thing over there, then put that thing over here and make sure the other thingie is set up here in this corner where it won't hurt anybody.

Kinda miffed that the first guy's instructions weren't as clear as I had hoped. Which means I'll have to watch this new guy to make sure he does what I want.

And how am I supposed to fit in my regular work while I'm trying to watch this guy?

He finally left, but he's not done. Only got some of the duct work done, and the water run for the kitchenette. Tomorrow he'll have to tackle the shower enclosure and the bathroom vent fan. And a few other miscellaneous odds and ends.

Meanwhile, it's Marching Band rehearsal night, and I need to get my Pit Crew team through a dry run so we'll be ready for Friday. Unfortunately, we can't load up the carts with the instruments because the band is using them, so we just practice unloading the carts from the trailer and driving them to the stadium so we can do a mock setup.

Unfortunately, one of the tractors won't start, so we can only practice a half-set of carts. We go on down to the stadium with the carts, then grab the big podium from its storage spot and -- wait a minute. The storage area lock is missing. And a couple of the safety rails for the podium are missing! Panic in the streets!

We search for awhile but don't find the missing rails. We set up the podium anyway, just to give the new guys some practice, but now I'm alarmed. We can't use the podium without the safety rails. And our first game is coming up very quickly!! What are we going to do!?

The worst part is having to tell the Band Directors. They won't want to hear excuses; they will want to know what we are going to do about it. And Panic doesn't count. So I'm going to need to institute a search during the daytime, and meanwhile look on-line to see if we can get any replacement rails.

But all I really want to do is go to my room and hide under the covers.

No comments: