Monday, January 02, 2023

2023 Begins

 

The new year has begun. I wasn't done with the old one; there are still far too many unfinished projects around here.

But that's the way time works, isn't it? We never have enough time to complete all the things we want to.

If I dwell too long on that thought, I'm paralyzed, and that makes it worse.

We started going through our possessions last year in an attempt to purge the clutter, starting in the garage loft and attic which contains some items unseen since we moved to this house over eighteen years ago. We didn't get very far. In the end, we threw out a lot of junk only to make room for more junk.

Where does it all come from?

But it isn't just the junk that needs to go; it's also the dreams and aspirations. There just isn't enough time in life to pursue them all.

Perhaps I should clarify: there isn't enough time in my life to pursue all my goals. And that is primarily because I am not a person of Action so much as I am a person of Thought & Imagination.

When I walk into a room that needs to be uncluttered, for example, nothing happens for a long time. Because it takes me a long time to figure out what I'm doing, where I'm even going to start. My imagination kicks into high gear and catalogs and sorts and moves things virtually before my hand touches anything. Far too often, this process runs into a complete mental lock-up because there are simply too many things to handle, or too many prerequisite steps that must be performed, or both.

And when I finally start doing something, most of the available time is gone, and only a small amount of actual uncluttering gets done before I have to stop and move on to the next priority/emergency.

My brain is my worst enemy.

I overthink everything.

And underperform everything.

(And Time is a thief!)

I'd like to purge my brain this year -- removing the goals and dreams that are, at this point in my life, pointless or unreachable, in order to focus on the attainable ones.

If I could just figure out what they are.

One day at a time, I suppose.

Today, my goal is to get in a good day's work at my job, enjoy being with my lovely wife, and not get stressed out.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

A good therapist can help with decluttering. Works for me!