Sunday, May 07, 2023

Flowers for Algernon

The yard has exploded with color; there are flowers everywhere!

I don't know what they are, though. I've never been able to identify plants, not even the trees that drop needles on my head.

Pine! I exclaim confidently.

Douglas Fir, my Better Half gently corrects.

Sigh.

You'd think by now, having spent so many pleasurable hours pulling weeds and planting seeds, trimming limbs and raking leaves and scooping bark and trying to keep the pesky dandelions from taking over, I'd know something.

I've even read a huge pile of Gardening books, but those words (especially the Latin ones) don't stick in my head. Oh, well. Here's a sampling of the various flora cluttering up our front yard.


Front Yard Flowers


 


Orange Tulip Spring Snowflakes
Greek Thimbleweed Orange Tulip (again)
Red Tulips Snake's Head Fritillary
More Red Tulips Narcissus
American Yellowrocket


Cactus Bloom


The Christmas Cactus finally bloomed after all these years. It's small and singular, but it sure is pretty! And it gets plenty of sunshine right there next to the kitchen window.


2 comments:

virginia said...

just beautiful

virginia said...

My cactus just puts out more leaves but hasn't bloomed a a couple of years.