Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Post-Thanksgiving


Finally! Took me all day to get this computer booted up and running...

In-between playing a game of Lego Quest with Adam and the neighborhood boys - which lasted four hours - and nibbling on leftovers, and thinking deep thoughts about various things (all the work left to do on the house, mostly), and trying to update Ubuntu from version 5.10 ("Breezy Badger") to 6.0.6 ("Dapper Drake") because a bug in Firefox was making it impossible to do any net surfing. Took me til after dinner to figure out that it was possible to not upgrade all the way to 7.10 ("Gutsy Gibbon"), because that version requires 384 megabytes of RAM, and this ancient 1.0 gigahertz model only has 256.

I had burned a CD of 7.10, but it refused to install, and didn't bother to tell me why. Did some net checking and discovered that it was due to not-enough-memory. So I went back to the Ubuntu website and downloaded 6.0.6, and that worked fine. Although I must say that running it on a 1.0 gigahertz machine is really pushing the envelope. It's sloooooow.

I would run it on the fast PC (2.6 gigahertz) but the kids are using that one to play their games. And the games require Windows XP. And Windows XP on a 1 gigahertz machine is impossible, as compared to Ubuntu on a 1 gigahertz machine which is merely annoying.

Now that it is working, I can upload some pictures from Thanskgiving. Tomorrow. Right now, I'm heading to bed.

No comments: