Thursday, August 19, 2010

Iowa

We had a wonderful time in Iowa. It was hot, humid, and a very long drive to get there, but Sandra's house was roomy and comfortable, there was plenty to keep the kids busy (trampoline + video games), and it was pleasant to just sit around for a couple of days.

If only there wasn't the nagging in the back of my head for all the work I wasn't getting done.

And I'm not talking the work I wanted to do around the house; I'm talking the work back at the office which should never have entered into my consciousness while "on vacation". There's some major flaw in my brain that won't allow me to relax while there's things left to do at work. The problem is, once you run out of things to do at work, you get laid off. And that's bad.

I spent a few hours working on office-related things, updating some documents and sending emails, but most of the time was spent looking around at my niece and nephew and wondering, "Where did all the time go?" They've gotten so big now. They're nearly grown-ups.

OK, except for some of the facial expressions. That's not so grown-up. Which is good, because I'm not ready for them to be grown up yet.

It was fun watching the girls on the trampoline, just on the other side of the fence from the dogs (who were barking it up and having a blast watching them, too).

It was fun playing baseball with the kids in the hot Iowa summer sun.Although even in the high grass where we searched for the missing baseballs, I never found a tick like I'd hoped. (Ah, memories of elementary school recess in Harrison, Arkansas, where we had tick races on our desks after racing through the woods.)

It was fun bowling with both families.

It was fun watching the boys climb up and down the rock wall at the activity center, although I was doing well just to make it up six or seven feet. The boys actually did the rope stuff.

And it was fun watching them all play cards in the evening, listening to the sound of silly laughter and good, old-fashioned round-the-table fun.

That's the best part of vacation, just listening to the family chatter and the laughter and enjoying each other's company. Can't wait til the next time!

3 comments:

virginia said...

that sounds like a better vacation that roughing it with the bears and escaped convicts in Yellowstone. Family time is important.

virginia said...

looks like you had a great time.

Jeanne said...

That does look like fun! Feeling like total sticks-in-the-mud, cause we never do anything fun like playing games together. I suppose that's yet another blessing of having lots of people in the house. I try to supplement wit animals, but the poor things have no thumbs, and when they try to make do by holding cards in their mouths the cards get all soggy. And of course we have no cousins close to show us how it's done, either... :-(