Thursday, September 02, 2010

Glasses

We knew it was going to happen one of these days; in fact, we've been expecting it since the first time she started squinting when looking off in the distance. It only makes sense, after all, since she is the offspring of parent who both have one astigmatism or another.

We didn't want to make her wait until after college to get glasses like I did (and that was only because they were necessary to pass the eye exam for the flight physical). It was amazing how suddenly the number and severity of my headaches dropped. And I realized how badly I'd been straining to see the road while driving late at night.

Attitudes about glasses have apparently changed a lot since the days when kids were called "four-eyes". Lots of kids are wearing glasses. Many kids are wearing contacts. Most important, they all realize how important it is to be able to see the white board from their seats.

And some of them look so cute!

While Cheryl and Mary were picking up the glasses, they also got some "Aunt Mary" straps for me to use with my bifocals; that way, I can take off my glasses without the risk of forgetting where I put them. Plus when I'm lecturing to the kids about how hard life was back in "the good old days", I can take them off and wave them around to make my points, then put them back on so I can see who I'm talking to.

2 comments:

virginia said...

way to go, Meyer's.
Mary, those glasses look really good.

Jeanne said...

Mary's glasses look cute! Probably helps that she's SMILING. Rob, if you keep frowning, your face is gonna freeze like that. Oh, wait-- I think it already has! :-0