Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Joory Dooty At Last!!

Finally, after nearly thirty years of adulthood, I've received the coveted Joory Dooty Award for Good Citizenship! Yes, I got my summons in the mail. Or whatever you call it. And there is the possibility that I might actually get to sit on a jury and help decide an important case!

Or not.

Since I'm both a cynic and an engineer, this is the way I envision the proceedings.

"Mr. Meyer, what is your occupation?"

"I'm an engineer."

{sound of lawyers whispering to one another}

"Thank you, Mister Meyer. You are excused."

"May I ask why?"

"We don't want any logical thinkers in the jury. They're not impressionable enough."

Still, the idea of actually being able to take part in the Justice System, even if I don't get picked or accepted or approved, fills me with joy. It's like voting. There's no feeling in the world like coming out of the voting room with the little "I Voted" sticker attached to your forehead (or shirt, if you're boring) and a satisfied feeling in your heart that you have done your Civic Duty.

Oh, how I wish everyone all over the world could feel that feeling!

2 comments:

Judebaker said...

I got picked for jury duty about four years ago. It was a r*pe case. I wept while the attorney's were questioning people, and I think I may have looked daggers at the accused (I know, he was innocent til proven, but...). Anyway, I was one of the ones rejected. Probably thought I'd be too sympathetic for the girl in question. The perp did look like a sleezebag. In fact, that was the second time in my life I got called for jury duty. The other time was back in Texas I think and it was a spouse abuse case--again, I looked too emotional for their liking!!! So due to my emotional nature, my civic duty days have not been long. The process is interesting, so even if they don't pick you, it should be educational. Just try to look blase and non threatening and oh so very open minded, and maybe you'll get to sit on jury with the other 11 angry men (and women) who are being cut out of several day's wages to sit in judgement on their fellow American.

The Meyer Family said...

I'm looking forward to finally seeing how the process works, even if I (like you) can't keep a poker face and end up getting 'dismissed'.

It's still hard to believe I'm nearly half a century old and have never been called for jury duty. Who IS getting called for most of the cases?