Monday, June 20, 2011

My Mom is Having a Birthday Today!

When we woke up early in the morning on the California trip, my mom was ready to go walking. She had her sweatshirt and her shoes and her smile on, and no matter how far we ended up going, she never complained. That's the kind of person she is. When it's time to spend time with people, doing things that other people want to do, Mom is there with a good attitude and lots of stories to tell, to keep us going.

I've always admired my mom's ability to tell interesting stories. Having spent some time in Indiana with her family, it isn't hard to figure out where it comes from - they're an entire family of good storytellers. And it's nice to listen to stories while getting one's exercise. Makes the miles fly by.

My mom is an amazing person. She puts up with quite a lot, accepting the little twists and turns that happen in life, and she just keeps on going, kind of like the Energizer Bunny. Maybe it's all those years as a nurse, sitting beside people who were dealing with a lot of anxiety and uncertainty, practicing the art of calming them down, tending to both their physical and emotional needs. She has a wonderful capacity to stay calm herself when things are getting a bit out of control; this inner strength must have served her well when attempting to raise six children!

Mom, I hope you have a wonderful birthday, and I also hope to see you soon again, to sit and listen to your wonderful stories, to walk beside you on the trails through the park, to hear your laughter again, and to give you a great, big hug and tell you how much you mean to me.

But don't worry about saving me any cake or ice cream. I probably should just walk a little further instead.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

1 comment:

virginia said...

thanks so much, Rob, for your kind thoughts. Our visit in California was just so wonderful. Can hardly wait for the reunion.