Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Too Busy to Get Anything Done

All day long I've been daydreaming of working on cars. Not only the one that needs the new head gaskets, but also the one that needs another transmission. It's awfully hard to focus on work when there are much more fun things to think about.

I was hoping to start working on it the moment I got home, but that didn't happen due to various other little things that needed attention.  In fact, it wasn't until after dinner that I found a few moments to run out to the garage and drink in the sight of that lovely EJ25 4-cylinder fuel-injected engine sitting on it's pretty little perch, just waiting for the removal of the intake manifold and the heads.

But first ... a few little safety precautions.  I drilled some holes in the mini-rafters above and threaded some 3/8" eye bolts through the holes and tightened washers and nuts on 'em, then looped some chain through the eye bolts and bolted those to the engine.  So, just in case the engine decides to take a dive off the little table saw platform, it ain't going nowhere.

I had just barely enough time to take a few little things off the intake manifold in preparation for removing it from the engine block, and then I remembered that there was this pesky little bike adjustment to make before work tomorrow.

I was having a great deal of difficulty getting into top gear on the way to work (and back) today.  Which means that the cable needs adjusting.  Again.

So I put the bike up on the hooks (which hang from the rafters, like everything else in the garage) and adjusted the cable until it finally started shifting more easily into top gear.  I hope it still works tomorrow when I take it down from the hooks and put on my bike-riding outfit and head down the road.

Meanwhile, it was time to head in because a bit of a windstorm had begun blowing things around, and there were precious plants which had gone without water for several days or weeks or months or something; not that they were going to get any water from the windstorm, but we were afraid that perhaps the windstorm was going to obviate all of our efforts to save them long enough to make it to the next rainstorm.  So we took the delicate ones back inside to protect them from the wind, and left the rest outside to rot in the wind.  Especially the ones which had such deep roots that it would've been impossible to move them.  (Actually, I don't think they'll rot in the wind; more likely, they'll just get whipped.)

Looks like I'll be back to dreaming about engines again tomorrow.  Can't think of a thing that will otherwise be occupying my time.  At the office, I mean.  There's plenty of other things to occupy my mind at home.

No comments: