Monday, February 01, 2016

Progress Comes in Small Packages

I would like to say that great progress was made this past weekend; and it is true that some progress was made. But on the timetable I had hoped to achieve, the amount of progress was not quite what I had hoped for.

I put together a montage of the first phase of the bedroom closet construction, which took far longer than I had anticipated mainly due to the number of distractions which occurred.

I put together another montage to show the amount of progress on the second phase. This took longer than I had anticipated due to the number of little issues that came up during the construction, mostly in the matter of things I had not foreseen when coming up with the original drawings.


But now it is done and I can turn to the other remaining framing issues, which include the bathroom closet and the bedroom closet door and the library door header and the back wall shelf which needs to be put back together.

I'm hoping that those will be completed by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, when I'm not actually working (i.e. doing the things that actually bring money into the house), I'm also fixing the things that need to be fixed on Deb's new car -- like the side mirror, the blower motor resistor pack, the driver door handle, the tail light, the parking brake, the exhaust system (just a tiny leak) and the windshield. Well, actually, I'm not going to fix the windshield myself, I'm just going to call the windshield repair people and have them do it. In our driveway.

We all took a break on Friday night to not do anything in the way of work or homework or anything. Cheryl and I went out to dinner and then a Symphony concert; the kids stayed home and watched movies. On Saturday, Deb and Cheryl performed at the Solo / Ensemble Festival at the HIgh School and we celebrated by having Papa Murphy's pizza and watching The Shop Around the Corner (again).

On Sunday, Cheryl stayed home (because she was till coughing up a storm) and Mary helped me with Sunday School and then I got to work in the 2's & 3's because one of the kids was clingy and wanted to hold on to a "daddy" type of person, and I was there. After half an hour of holding him, he finally felt good enough to go play with the other kids (and having a snack didn't hurt!).

And then on Sunday afternoon, the weirdest thing happened: a U.S. Post Office truck showed up at our house to deliver the side mirror and driver door handle for Deb's car. I've never in my life experienced a U.S. Post Office delivery on a Sunday. It was bizarre!

But it was also very nice, because I was able to spend an hour or so before Small Group installing the side mirror and feeling like I'd made just a little bit more progress!




No comments: