Saturday, August 27, 2016

Weird Weekend



Storm Rolling In
The sky was beautiful. The clouds were puffy and white with shadows of pink and gray, framed by the thickening black of the thunderstorms which rolled in from the west.

Mary Installs Tires
Mary, eager to get her new-used car into shape, eagerly took instruction in the removal and replacement of tires, exchanging the old ones which came with Sapphire for the new ones we purchased last fall for Ruby. She learned several new techniques, including the use of breaker bar extensions and proper jacking for unibody cars. She also got some first-hand experience in the proper application of leverage!

Rob Works on Brakes
Serenity II, also known as "Emerald", needed some attention in the brake department because one of the pistons on the right front caliper was stuck, causing an imbalance in the application of braking force; so I took the opportunity to demonstrate to Mary the proper method for removing and replacing brakes as well. We took a good set from Ruby (practically brand-new!) and swapped them for the bad ones in Sapphire. Then Mary helped me bleed the brakes.

Tools for the Cars
Due to the rusted nature of the brake components, we had to use a variety of tools to carefully apply torque. (Not shown: a can of PB Blaster, which is extremely critical to the goal of removing rusted bolts without destroying them.)  It took a lot of patience!

Basement Lights
After all the car fun was done, it was back to the main task of getting the basement ceiling done. Here's the "before" picture of the special panels I've constructed for the lights: a 2x2 sheet of 1/8-inch plywood which sits atop the ceiling panel to provide support for the lighting box.

::

Did I mention we got to see Weird Al at the DeVos Performing Arts Center on Friday night?  It was a father-daughter date, just me and Mary.  We both really enjoyed the show.  Al has mastered the method of inserting extremely entertaining videos in-between the costume changes so that, from the audience perspective, there's never a dull moment!

::

Cheryl, I hope you're having fun in Moline!  We miss you lots!!  And love you more than we can say! Come home soon!

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend. <3

virginia said...

Sounds like a really great weekend. And I know you are having fun working on the cars. Mary is getting a lot of experience. Never can know enough about your cars.

Judebaker said...

Today I saw
a Subaru.
I thought of you.
Every time
I see a Subaru,
I think of you.
To see a Subaru,
Is to think of you.
So whenever you see a Subaru,
Think of me,
thinking of you,
every time I see
a Subaru.

The Meyer Family said...

Today I sat in
a Subaru.
I thought of you.
Because when
you see a Subaru
you think of me.
To sit in a Subaru
is to wish that you
could sit in a Subaru
too
Because whenever you drive a Subaru
you feel the road beneath your feet
and know that you have a grip
if not on reality
at least on the road
and that is almost
as good.