Thursday, June 29, 2017

Another Car Mystery

It's driving me crazy.

Cheryl's car has this new 'feature' whereby it squeals whenever one turns to the right, or applies the brakes. The noise appears to be coming from the front left wheel - but I've checked and re-checked the brakes and nothing seems amiss.

But it gave me a wonderful opportunity to try out my new hydraulic shop jack. With the jack holding up the front / center of the car and jackstands on either side, it was possible to get the car up high enough to drive the wheels (with the engine on) and try turning the wheel left and right and apply the brake to see if the noise could be recreated.

Cheryl's Car Gets a Lift
Unfortunately, the car did not want to play by the rules, and made no squealing. So apparently it only makes noise when the wheels actually make contact with the ground.

Not sure what to do with that clue - it leads me absolutely nowhere.

No comments: