Sunday, December 03, 2017

Meet Doug the Wonder-Car!

Posted 01/20/2018

While I was gone on my little trip to Tucson, Cheryl found an incredible deal on a car to which we could not say "No".

Meet Doug.

Doug the Toyota Corolla
Doug is a cute little Toyota Corolla which is in remarkable shape with far fewer miles than are normal for a car of its vintage (2001). It has been sitting around for a few years in a neighbor's garage just waiting for someone to drive it into the ground. Like us!

Here's the deal, though: we don't have room for Doug and all those other cars, especially the non-functional Subarus. Something has to go. We simply don't have the room for 7 cars.

So we made the (painful for me) decision to get rid of the non-functional cars.

I didn't have much time, especially for any such foolishness as taking pictures of the carcasses and advertising to sell them on Craigslist (my go-to place for car sales), so on Saturday afternoon I just called the car disposal people. Unexpectedly, they said they could come pick them up that very night! And they did, too. This guy drove over from Lansing with the tow truck and put one of them on the trailer part and attached the other one to the end of the truck (so he could tow it) and by ten o'clock that night, both cars were gone.

It hurt a bit. I had high hopes to find time to fix those cars back in the summer, but I'd made a deal with myself that if they weren't up and running by August, they never would be (because there is just not enough time in my life for such things), so as of September 1st, their days were already numbered. And now they're gone.

Meanwhile, Doug is the newest member of our automobile menagerie!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Way to go, Rob! Letting go of unusable things is the first step toward sanity! If I could only get some of that sanity going on at my house!!!