Thursday, February 01, 2018

January

Posted March 13 2018
Since I'm way behind on my website updates, I'm just going to summarize a few events that occurred this month.

January 2nd

While everyone was home for Christmas, we decided to have a family game night, playing Princess Bride Monopoly.

"Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!"
Roll Dem Bones

Now it's my turn...
Should I buy it?

Putting up some houses.
Moving around the board.

January 5th

It snowed. A lot. And I shoveled. A lot. Nearly five feet piled up on the side of the driveway. Sheesh! My back was hurting... And I didn't bother even trying to clean off the back deck.


We took James and Tabea to the Grand Rapids airport so they could catch their flight to Chicago, and from there on to Germany. We were originally going to drive them to Chicago, but with the snow enroute we decided it would be more prudent for them to fly instead. Past experience driving on I-96/I-94 in the snow is enough to convince me. Driving on icy roads is not fun!

As it turned out, once they got to Chicago, they were able to spend some time with some church friends who are attending Moody Institute, so they didn't get completely bored sitting around in O'Hare waiting for their flight.

January 11th

I headed back to Tucson on the 8th to finish up the work at the battery plant, testing the software that charges the batteries. I had been hoping that this trip wasn't really necessary, but there was so much left to do. Meanwhile, I took every opportunity to spend time with Jeanne and her family (as I had done in October, November and December). I even got to be there for her birthday celebration! And she picked an awesome place for it -- The Cheesecake Factory! Which guaranteed that I wouldn't need to eat for another couple days. Wow, that stuff was seriously yummy ... and seriously filling.


January 21st

As it turned out, the money ran out before the job was really done at the battery factory. They let me know about a week beforehand that I needed to wrap things up and depart on the 19th, so I did. But, since the family didn't know I would be coming home early -- they still thought I would be out here til the end of the month -- and because Deb's birthday was on the 21st, Cheryl and I figured it would be fun to surprise her by not telling anyone that I was coming home early. So we didn't.

I flew home on Friday the 19th and got in a little after midnight. Spent all day Saturday catching up on errands (including attending the funeral of the father of the kids' piano teacher) and then did our usual activities on Sunday -- including Skyping with James and Tabea -- but didn't tell Deb that I was home.

And then finally when we went to meet Deb for dinner at our favorite sushi restaurant, she was nicely surprised to find me there!

So after eating way too much sushi, we went home and opened presents and ate cake and ice cream.


No comments: