Friday, January 21, 2022

Time for Sushi ... Again

When you have a big family, there's usually a birthday just around the corner.

Today we celebrated one of those birthdays; and, as we have down for the past several years since James introduced it to us, we are having sushi.

Raw fish.

{Well, it isn't actually raw fish. It's flash-frozen fish that is served immediately after thawing, with fancy spices and sauces. The flash-freezing supposedly kills off any harmful bacteria or parasites. I read it on the Internet so it must be true!}

I was dubious of the claims of my children when they told me how wonderful sushi was. Just the thought of eating raw fish made me queasy. But I'm glad now that I took the chance on it (for the love of my kids) and had some. It was amazing! So much so that we've kept it as a tradition now, for most of the birthdays. And any other celebration in-between.

Of course, we also had cupcakes. What is a birthday without some kind of cake?

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I'd go for the cupcakes! Sushi, not so much. I'm pretty sure human embryos survive flash freezing and years later can be implanted and grow into babies... so I'm thinking some germs are able to survive, too. But what do I know? I eat cookie dough.