Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Weird Al

There is a huge list of goals for this year. I'll be surprised if any of them actually are met, but it's fun to dream.

Garage

Ladder to Loft, Looking Towards Future Wall Alternate workbench with Paint Shelf
Ladder to Loft, Looking Towards Future Wall Alternate Workbench with Paint Shelf
Lawn Mower pre-Winterization Top of Table Saw Covered with Saw
Snow Blower Chassis Snow Blower Engine
Primary Workbench with Tool Bag Electrical Workbench with Batteries


  • Pack up and store all the Christmas materials (tree, ornaments, etc.) in the loft.
  • Finish the front wall in the 3rd bay so that I can insulate it and use it as my "winter shop".
  • Clean & rebuild the snow blower.
  • Clean & winterize the lawn mower.

Cars

  • Check all car brakes, fix if necessary.
  • Check Corolla transmission because it's acting funny.
  • Check Rav engine because it has an odd low-frequency noise.
  • Fix/Adjust the Rav brakes, including the parking brake.
  • Finish sealing Sonata paint patch on rear wheel well.
  • Assist Mary in getting her check to a Transmission shop for a check-up.
  • Rewire the Camry (to fix the intermittent trouble indications).
  • Prep the Camry for the frame rail de-rusting/re-welding in the spring.

House

  • Winter deep-clean (vacuuming, mopping, dusting, paint touch-up).
  • Finish patching the wall near the mud room door.
  • Re-caulk the master bath.
  • Rearrange the front room to be an office space for family/guests.
  • Check the attic for possible air gaps, leaks, missing insulation.
  • Continue the work started last spring to install flooring in the attic space.
  • Finish the basement baseboard & drop-ceiling (when it becomes vacant).

Gardening

  • Turn over the outside compost every week.
  • Mount the GrowLight near the houseplants so they don't die.
  • Start the new seedlings to plant in spring.
  • Rebuild/re-organize the garden tool workbench/shelf in front of the third bay of the garage.

That's just the list off the top of my head. There are so many others that I lost count! Meanwhile, there are many other long-term projects on my mind that don't have any specific schedule or timetable, but they are items I'd like to get started as soon as possible.

Digitize all our photos & videos

We started this activity this summer, as a friend of ours started a company to perform this vital service. It's not cheap, but it is something we'd really like to have someone else do because we just don't have the time. I dropped the ball on this one at the beginning of winter due to work deadlines and Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year holiday events.

Complete the porch winterization

I have a plan for closing in the front porch in order to prevent the wind and rain and snow and ice from getting onto it, something along the lines of that screened-in porch we had on our house in Richmond, so that we could even hang out there and be relatively warm even when the weather is cold. So far, I've put together some prototype framing with covers, but it's going to take a lot more work and I'm running out of time.

Re-organize the office

The office is a mess right now because I've had it all to myself, and it got completely trashed when I was trying to put together Christmas cards - I don't multi-task well, and there really wasn't much time between panics at work - so I'd like to optimize the space such that other people can use it as well. We're still keeping Mary's room as the guest room, so we're trying to set up the front room as the alternate office -- but because it's open to the rest of the house and has no doors, there's not much in the way of privacy, so it's difficult to concentrate on work there. But if I can manage to make just a little bit more room in the office I'm using now, it might be more conducive to sharing.

That's all I have for now. I'll think of more later, if I have any time to think about it. Which is not likely, as time just keeps slipping away...