Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Happy Birthday, Deb!

We've all been looking forward to this for a long time. It isn't every day that a girl turns ten years old, after all! And it's such a curious age, right on the cusp of all those wonderful physical/mental/emotional/hormonal changes. We've seen a bit of it now and then; she can be quite moody, and she's stubborn and oversensitive like her father (and mathematically inclined like her mother).

The kids had the day off due to Martin Luthor King, Jr. Day, but Dad didn't (because they're so mean at work) so Dad missed out on the trip to the mall and the wonderful experience that is ear-piercing. Then there was a trip to the coffee shop for cocoa, which he also missed. But Dad did get to see the beautiful earrings that Mom had gotten her grown-up daughter, and the crystal bowl for storing them, and the other presents which brought a smile to the happy birthday girl.

Later, after Dad got home, there was cupcakes and candles and singing and fun things like that. Some pictures were taken, and subsequently uploaded to Flickr for your amusement.

I try to imagine what she'll be like in a few short years when the boy-craze hits, and the body changes really kick in, and the urge to purchase a shotgun (for patrolling the front porch) begins. It is not something to which I look forward in anticipation. But there are other events which will be much more pleasant, and perhaps those will make up for it.

For now, she's still my little girl, and she still greets me every day by leaping (literally) into my arms. I'm really going to hate it when that comes to an end, and it won't be 'cool' to show such affection to Dear Old Dad. So I'm trying to soak it up as much as possible now.

In fact, I think I'll go give her a hug right now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we really enjoyed the pictures.
And I am a lazy grandma for not calling a certain birthday girl. Would have been too late to call, at least I thought she would have been in bed by the time I could have called.
Never thought of calling that morning before she went to school. sorry about that.
anyway Grandma and Grandpa Meyer love you