Saturday, January 05, 2008

Major Distraction

I adore great photography.

In high school, for a time, I worked for Will Schermerhorn's mother in her frame shop. She taught me to develop black-and-white film, and sent me out on assignments to take nature photos from which she would draw her artwork.

{Will is an awesome photographer and videographer. You oughta check out his website! }

One of the first major purchases I made after college was a Canon AE-1 SLR camera. I had hoping to pursue photography as a hobby, but never really developed the knack for it. Occasionally, I'd get a few nice-looking shots, but those were the exceptions and not the rule.

I still have the camera. Since the digital photo revolution, it's been gathering dust in my closet.

Whereas my friend, Andy, or rather Martin A. Olstad, who taught me not only about photography but also about music and art and boogie-boarding, has continued his work in the arts, now apparently focusing on sculpture. Talk about talent!

Then there's my brothers, Craig and Kelly. When they were little, I brought home a video camera so my folks would be able to record their growing-up years (because most of the rest of us were not going to be around -- I thought). They promptly commandeered the camera, making all sorts of hilarious videos. And they continue to do so, as you can see from their websites.

Sometimes I am wistful that there never seems to be enough time to pursue any of those artistic interests. Occasionally I'll put together a bit of music or a video or take an interesting picture to post on the web, but creating true artwork takes time and dedication and focus. And a certain lack of distractions.

And now there's this website that is proving to be a major distraction for me. I can't remember where the link first showed up, but ever since it came along, it's like an addiction. It posts some of the most beautiful pictures, the kind that make my heart ache to look at, and it makes me wish I could produce something as wonderful.

Lucky for me that the site is blocked by our filters at work, or there would be no way for me to get anything done.

It must be noted, as well, that since the site allows the general public to post any photo they want (and then the submissions get voted up or down by the viewers), there are occasions where the pictures are not suitable for children, so I do not visit this site when the children are looking over my shoulder. But those are the exceptions, not the rule.

Most of the pictures take my breath away, or make me laugh, or just leave me stunned. Some of them make me want to jump on a plane and fly to the location where the picture was taken, just to see it for myself. Some of them give me a new appreciation for the people who live in other countries, how much in common we are, and yet how different.

All of them make me wish I could take pictures like that.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Wow! I bookmarked that website. There are some incredible photos on it. I know what you mean about wanting to be able to create something like that.

The Meyer Family said...

Of course, right after I put up the link, they started putting up some really bizarre stuff.

One of these days, I'm going to visit some of those places, especially the ones by the coast, and just sit on the hillside and wish for a camera.