Saturday, April 05, 2008

Slow Progress

Just like everything else around here, it isn't the difficulty of the tasks which cause delays, it's the prerequisites.

In order to get the walls built downstairs, it's necessary to finish laying down the subflooring panels. But I'll need to cut the subflooring panels to size (like jigsaw puzzles) and cut slots in them, so the table saw (with the dado blade) needs to be set up, plus the Skilsaw, plus the jigsaw. But then I need a new outlet near the worktable in the garage. So first I have to clear out the area around the worktable, and that takes awhile. Plus I have to get the car out of the garage so the table saw can be rolled out to the middle of the garage floor. But before I can get the car out of the garage, the window needs to be fixed (it popped out of the track again). In order to fix the window, I have to pull out the mechanism and clean it up, then re-grease it, then re-install the mechanism, then put the window back in. But by the time the window is nearly in, it's time for my haircut and I have to go (with no driver-side window).

It's afternoon when I return. The window still needs to be put back in so I can go to the hardware store later on. Getting it back in takes a while. Finally, the car is out in the driveway and the table saw is in position, so it's time for measuring and cutting subfloor panels.

That takes a lot longer than I'd planned, since each endpiece has to be specially cut to fit. Plus there are special shapes that have to be cut out - like the pipes and drains for the bathroom.

After hours and hours, I've run out of subfloor panels and have to stop. Still not done, walls not up - but it's nine o'clock, and I'm beat.

Guess we'll see how far we get tomorrow.

No comments: