Friday, November 20, 2009

Unexpected Delirium

It was in the third hour of my Green Belt class when the trouble began; an aching in the bones and an overwhelming tiredness. I was hoping it was the dullness of the material (it was, after all, statistics), or perhaps the chocolate bar I'd purchased for the morning snack (it was for a good cause; aren't grace points awarded for children's charities?). I barely comprehended the instructor's words for the last hour or so before lunch; all I could think about was getting to my car and closing my eyes and sleeping it off. I assumed it would pass.

It did not.

After lunch, a period of time which was spent sleeping in my car rather than eating at my desk, I struggled through another hour of the material before calling it quits. At the first break, somewhere between one-thirty and two, I packed up my materials and went back to the car and drove home and crawled into bed and stayed there.

Until Friday morning.

What happened Thursday? I have no idea. It's a blur of half-waking, mostly-sleeping imagery in no particular sequence and completely lacking in meaningfulness. Friday morning was spent mostly in bed as well, with a break here and there to get up and check to see that the house was still standing (or at least that it had stopped swaying).

At lunch, I took a little trip to the school to pick up a crockpot which had contained some soup, and a little girl who probably could've walked home. The crockpot full of soup had been brought to feed the teachers who had stayed late every day this week to hold parent-teacher conferences. The soup was gone. The girl was fully prepared to walk home, as it only takes ten minutes. But she was happy to take the shortcut route in Dad's car.

Afterward, it was back to bed for me, properly dosed up on analgesics and antihistamines. Sometime around dinner, I finally felt good enough to get up and stay up. I'm not sure if pizza was quite the right prescription for so soon after an illness, but we'll see.

Tomorrow is James's birthday. He has a lot of things going on, and I don't want to miss them.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Happy birthday to James!!!

The Meyer Family said...

He says Thanks to All, and does anyone have a used snowboard he could borrow? He's decided to be like his uncles and become a snowboarding teenager, which in our case means joining the ski/snowboard team, so we could use all the hints we can get.

Judebaker said...

No snowboards here, but best wishes to the birthday boy! He's 14 now isn't he. Wow. Sorry to hear you got so sick brother dear. Hope you feel better soon.

virginia said...

Tell him to save his pennies and buy one. They seem to last for years. Kel's looks like it was on it's last leg years ago and he probably will still use it.

I wondered what Green Belt was, clicked on it and discovered it was quite something in your world. Way too much for me. But does it help if you only get through part of the day?