Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mary as Marie / Bike Freedom Day


Today was the Wax Museum at the elementary school. All the fifth graders put on their costumes and got out their notecards and props, and stood in the hallway behind their desks as the parents and siblings walked around, pushing buttons to start the "presentations".

Mary performed as "Marie Curie".

She did quite a bit of research on Marie, so her presentation was very interesting. Cheryl helped put together the costume. Grandpa Green donated the lab coat. And I got to figure out how to make the "radium" glow in the beaker!

Mary was excited that Miss Susie (the Children's Minister from church) appeared, since she had been especially invited. Thanks, Miss Susie!

--

It was very warm today; in fact, today is the warmest day so far this Spring. Seventy-four degrees!



There was no way on earth it was possible to just sit inside and do "work" on a beautiful day like today. I wasn't convinced it would ever occur again, regardless of what the weatherman said. This day must not be wasted! So I hereby declared it to be "Bicycle Freedom Day". And you know what that means!


Yes! It was time for the bikes to be "freed" from their winter prison! It was time to pull them out of the garage loft and set them on the ground and check their tires and tighten the bolts and oil the chains and get them in motion!



And then, it was time for me to jump on my bike and ride several miles to make absolutely sure that everything was working exactly as it should be! And for my first little bike ride of the season, I rode up to the high school (3 miles) and back (total=6 miles), even taking a side trail through the little swamp park nearby (yay! bike covered with mud! crossing creeks! soaking my socks and shoes!). What fun!

I can't wait til tomorrow so I can take another ride!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Cool character study! Cool bike ride! Great weather!!!