Monday, May 17, 2010

Relax and Get Wired

I totally blame my dad for the fact that working on the house is relaxing to me.

This is just weird. All day long, hunched over a computer keyboard, staring blankly into the glowing orbs of three monitors, and I can't wait to get home so I can ... wire the basement.

Seriously.

It's been on my mind since the weekend, this project to put some lights into the shell of a room that will one day be a bathroom. It's got a wall between it and the furnace room, and until tonight, there was no outlet back there to plug in a light.

But tonight ... !



It's not a very good design right now, and I reserve the right to change it, but for now the bathroom circuit is wired into the main basement light circuit -- which also includes the sump pump, the water heater fan, and the smoke detector. One should never wire motors onto the same circuit as the lights. But, hey, it wasn't my idea. I'm just using what's available until I can run some new wire from the breaker panel. (The old wire is white, my new wiring is yellow; I just extended it from the old box to this new box on the way to the bathroom on the other side of the wall.)

Meanwhile, there's a temporary box over in the bathroom section with an outlet so a lamp or something can be plugged in back there. So I can actually work on the bathroom during the evenings when the light outside has gone away. And I can power my drills and things.


Why do I find this so relaxing???

Must've been all those years of training with the Master.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Glad you find it relaxing... nothing like an unfinished basement to bring an uncountable number of project possibilities... like a full pantry for a chef, or a stash of virgin clay or canvases for an artist.

Enjoy!