Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Wonderful Birthday


Thanks to everyone who called, sent cards, sent Facebook messages, or even thought about me for a moment. We're all so busy and so connected, and there are so many distractions in our lives, it's just fantastic to know and have known so many wonderful people!

The day started out with one goal achieved: I stepped on the scale first thing in the morning, and realized I'd achieved my Phase 1 target weight. Not an extraordinary thing, really; it wasn't like I'd lost 40 pounds or something. But it meant that I'd been able to maintain a specific lifestyle of cutting out all the extraneous eating for a month. I have never been able to fit an exercise regimen into my daily routine, at least since high school, and I'm convinced that it won't happen until some other things change in my life; but I figured at least it wouldn't be too difficult to restrict the caloric intake as some kind of compensation.

The day was overshadowed by one of those all-day headaches which lurked at the top of my head and distracted me from getting anything done. It took me all day to realize that it wasn't allergy-related; those meds had no effect. It finally went away around six p.m. after taking some ibuprofen, which pointed towards a stress issue. Which doesn't surprise me. I started a new assignment on Monday, and there's always a bit of stress related to new things.

The family was waiting out in the front yard when I arrived home from work, but they weren't there to greet me so much as they were there to fulfill one of my birthday wishes: to get the garden weeded. It's been a bit neglected since Spring started, and there were lots of weeds. Two of the bushes had also been hit with some kind of white fungal blight, and they had to be trimmed back quite a ways.

After the kids had gone back inside, fully worked-out for the day, Cheryl and I stood outside and cut up the branches and put them into the leaf bags, and talked about Stuff. That was an awesome time, probably the best time all day.

James (and Cheryl) cooked up a nice spaghetti dinner, and then we had strawberry shortcake and whipped cream and dippin'dots and Girl Scout cookies, and opened cards and presents. Wonderful cards! (And there was even an electronic one from Joe and Betty!) Got a really nice (and hilarious) T-shirt from Dick and Jean, along with a very useful car tool, pictured below:

Then it was time for some Buster Keaton, which always amuses me; then Bible reading time, then getting-ready-for-bedtime.

And now I'm feeling much loved, and ready to face the rest of the week.

Thank you all!!

No comments: