Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Concerts & Scout Projects

Picked up a nasty cold over the past week or so, but didn't have time to rest up much. Got too much to do, what with winter coming on and the car making funny noises and holidays sneaking up behind me like that. Then there's all the weeknights that are plumb over-scheduled. Like tonight.

Had the middle school choir concert tonight, and Mary was going to be singing so there weren't no excuse for missing out. But there was also Scout meeting, and Eagle Scout Project reviews, and being as I'm the one what opens the building up so the Scouts can get in, don't you know I've gotta be there right about the time the concert is fixing to start up. So with a wave of my magic wand, I've gotta be in two places at once.

Actually, we figured it out that I'd drop Mary off at the school early-like, since the choirs have to get all arranged and warmed up and everything, and while they were doing all that carrying on, I'd nip over to the church and let in the Scouts and the Eagle Scouts so they can get started - I wasn't going to be able to hang out with them, not with a kid in the choir.

Took me a bit longer than I'd figured to get everyone squared away, though, so my departure from the church was delayed til nearly twenty minutes past the concert start-time. Luckily, there was a number of choirs from other schools participating, and they got in first on the program, so my wandering in half-way through the first hour didn't affect my ability to witness my nearly-teen-aged daughter's performance.

Naturally, she was awesome, even though it weren't possible to pick her voice out of the ensemble of other voices. If it were, it mighta messed up the whole thing anyway. But the sight of her nearly took my breath away because - my goodness! - she's looking so grown up and everything. Like a big girl, practically an adult. Maybe it's the glasses. Maybe it's the way she carries herself. I dunno.

Kinda makes a dad feel proud. And old. All at the same time.

Got back to the church (after stopping by the house for some celebratory ice cream and apple pie) to make sure everything was locked up, and the Eagle Project reviewers were just leaving. Turns out my Eagle Scout - the one I've been "coaching" - made his presentation and is nearly approved now. Just needs some final signatories and he'll be ready to start. Just in the nick of time.

Looks like November's going to be a busy month, too.

No comments: