Sunday, October 02, 2011

Waiting at the Coffee Shop


Live ... from our Remote Coffee Shop Commentator


Twice a month, I sit here at the coffee shop on a Sunday afternoon, sipping my mocha and reading stories written by some very talented people. Novels, short stories, blog excerpts ... it's all good. We're all here to help one another in our quest to Write Well.

(And Get Published)

Adam is wandering around downtown with his friends, looking at art work and enjoying a beautiful, warm, sunny day. I dropped him off on the way down here. He was very excited about his forthcoming adventure. Ordinarily, he would be with me here at the coffee shop, drinking a non-caffeinated soda and joining in on the stimulating conversations regarding character, plot, theme and meaning, but sometimes the good of the many must be sacrificed for the good of the one. I hope he has a wonderful time!

Meanwhile, I've got a story idea to discuss with the group, and am looking forward to reading some excellent writing. And it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. But I forgot my sweater.


Later that Same Day


Only three of us showed up, but we still managed to hang out til nearly five o'clock. Some of us inherited the chatty gene, I suppose (namely, me). But we had fun. The other two authors had very good stories. Susie actually had two stories: Leaving and Implosion. Steve had one of his hilarious stories (which I can't find anywhere on the web, but that's normal when you're hoping to eventually publish the story elsewhere). And I had my Six Days Seven Nights knock-off, which is the type of story that gets written when I find an interesting nugget of a good premise buried in a forgettable, lackluster movie. Which was, in this case, Harrison Ford as an aging pilot and Ann Heche as his romantic nemesis, crash-landing on a deserted island and destined (?) for romance.

I never bought the idea that they would have a romance. Nah, he's way too old to be her lover. Instead, he should be her mentor, teaching her how to survive in the wild. So when the inevitable Crisis occurs (hurricane, wild animal, head-hunters, pirates, whatever), she responds by demonstrating how much she has grown and matured.

I'm always wanting to fix stupid movies. But no one wants my re-writes. Oh, well.

After a rousing afternoon of literary achievement, it was time to head home so that we could get the boys to their high school devo. And I needed to get over to our friends' house for dinner. And then go pick up the boys from devo. And then have our Family Meeting. And then do our Homework Check. And then make sure the house is ready for Monday morning. Ah, Sundays are always such busy days...

No comments: