Tuesday, November 15, 2011

$575 Later...

The Subaru is fixed. My wallet is broke.

The diagnosis was exactly what I suspected: the drive shafts needed replacing. The CV boots have probably been cracked for quite a while, letting all kinds of dust and gravel and dirt and debris into the gear mechanism. Once it started making that grinding noise, it's too late to try and salvage it. Just a question of how much it's going to cost.

And it cost plenty. Parts were around $350, labor was around $180. Taxes and miscellaneous items brought it up to something near $575. Yeah, I probably could've gotten a better deal somewhere else, but frankly, I just didn't feel like trying yet another car shop. I still haven't found one I like (non-dealership, I mean). And the dealership is very close to work.

So I brought it in early and sat in their very nice waiting room and took advantage of their free WiFi to work remotely so I didn't miss out on anything, drank my Coke Zero and waited patiently. It only took an hour and a half. They had all the parts right there in the shop.

So an hour and a half later, still somewhat early in the morning, I drove out of the dealership parking lot and went to the office. There were no noises coming from underneath the front end anymore. When I got home from work, I put the car up on the ramps so I could take pictures of the new drive axles and CV boots.



Ain't they pretty??

No comments: