Sunday, November 06, 2011

My Inner Garage


I'm getting pretty good at making these wall units. Maybe I'll go into business just making walls. It's a lot easier than all that project management stuff at the office. A few 2x4s, a few drywall screws, a few cuts here and there, and there's a wall.

Of course, when I get bored with walls, there's always shelves. Those are fun, too, and the only difference is in the direction of the inner support beams. For walls, they go up and down, since the weight is being distributed vertically. For the shelves, they go across, between the long runs, because they support from underneath.


Maybe I'll get this "inner garage" thing done before winter really kicks in.



I've still got a few little details to finish up, like the drop-down stairwell and the doors. It would be nice if winter held off just a little while longer so those can be finished up. But I'm rapidly running out of free time. It's November already!

There's lots of things to do in November. Adam has college applications and scholarship applications to fill out. And a driving test to pass. James has a birthday, and Part 2 of his Driver Education class. And several Jazz Band concerts. Thanksgiving is coming up, and we haven't figured out our plans for that yet. Christmas is just around the corner. Like everyone else getting ready to send children off to college, we're strapped for cash and wondering just how that's going to work out. We'd really like to get our Christmas cards written up and sent out this year, but 'procrastination' is our middle name.

Oh, and there's that 'work' thing down at the office. I'm supposed to be doing something there, but I can never remember what it is. I always forget about work the minute I'm out the door.

Frankly, building walls is a lot more fun.

No comments: