Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Running On Borrowed Air!

Well, that was a fun time. Running with Deb yesterday, I mean.

We did it! We ran! And I almost survived. Oh, sure, my body is daily giving evidence of falling apart. My back hurts, my hips are a disaster, my shins and thighs are like tight iron bands (totally rusted).

But Deb, though she was having similar difficulties with a sore foot and too-tight muscles, did wonderfully. Even handicapped by non-running shoes, she did fantastic!

We didn't stretch like I'd planned. (short version - we were in a hurry.) Instead, we just started walking. Then, at a convenient corner, I said, "Let's run to the next intersection." Which we did. Not a full-out run, of course; I'm not a complete idiot (though some would beg to differ). Just a nice, leisurely jog. Then we walked again. Then, at another intersection, we jogged again ... a little faster this time. Then, back to walking. At this one curvy section of road, we sprinted. And I got to see her long, lean legs kicking strong. It was awesome. (And, of course, she beat the old man.)

We repeated the same thing through the whole course til we got home. The final sprint wasn't long, but it was tough. Uphill to the house. I was completely winded, but happy. Deb was glowing. I mean, really red-faced and glowing with a grin that just wouldn't stop. I'm hoping she was half as proud as I was of her. That girl can go!

Now I'm looking forward to doing it again this afternoon!

No comments: