Saturday, April 21, 2012

Ketchup

Seems like I'm always playing catch-up these days.  I hate waking up in the morning and realizing that I'm behind schedule before my feet have hit the floor.  But that seems to be the way it is these days!

This past week was just one of those crazy weeks where too many things happened and there wasn't time enough to get anything done. 

First off, we had our Writer's Group on Sunday, where we celebrated the fact that one of the members of our group, Susie Finkbeiner, finally landed a book contract.  After numerous rewrites of her already-wonderful story.  Naturally, we were all excited.  And envious.  And feeling a bit guilty for feeling envious.  But that's the way it goes with writers.  We're a curious bunch.

On Monday, a new guy started at work.  He's supposed to replace another guy who has found gainful employment elsewhere.  The new guy has a lot to learn because the other guy knew everything.  And the only person we have around to train the new guy, is a third person who used to work in our group but has moved on to another department.  And he can only provide the training after he's done with his current duties.  Which means that the learning curve is going to be long and slow.

Meanwhile, two other guys - both experts in the code - have moved on to other jobs.  In other companies. In other cities.  Leaving me with no software engineers who know the code.  And a software release coming up.  Very soon.

No stress, no stress at all.

I had to skip out most of Monday anyway to take an EGD test.  Do you know what an EGD test is?  That's when they stick a camera down your throat to see what's wrong with it.  In my case, it's my second EGD for the purpose of finding out why my swallowing is restricted.  The first time they did it, they said that my throat was "inflamed".  Whatever that means.  They couldn't figure out the cause, but gave me some antibiotics in case it was infected.  Which it evidently wasn't.  Because the antibiotics did nothing.   And I still had trouble swallowing.

I went in before lunch and they gave me an IV with happy drugs in it so I would sleep, and some goopy liquid to drink which numbed my throat; and after they were done, Cheryl drove me home.  I slept until nearly 5, at which time we had dinner.  And I still had trouble swallowing.

Deb had her first Track Meet on Tuesday.  Mary and I went over to the church so that she could do her weekly babysitting.   We hung out afterward, waiting for the Scouts to show up for the Troop meeting, but they never did. We only have one Scout who is working on his merit badges, and I think he had something else going on that day, so I wasn't surprised.

Wednesday was the usual nuttiness, culminating in an incredibly bizarre Youth Group meeting.  I actually ended up with more neighborhood kids than pre-enrolled kids in my class, and it was obvious that they weren't used to paying attention in class or respecting authority or anything like that.  I mean, they were good kids, at heart; but it was obvious that discipline was not in their daily school cirriculum.

Thursday was another Track day for Deb, Anime club for James, Game club for Adam.  Which meant a bit of driving to pick everyone up at the correct times.

Friday was just insane.  I was supposed to pick up James after school because he was going to be bringing his bass home (so he could play it on Sunday), then swing over to Steak'n'Shake to pick up Mary (who was getting a treat from her teacher due to perfect grades), then pick up Deb from Track practice.  But James forgot about being picked up and took the bus home, so he wasn't there when I went to get him.  I went home and picked him up and took him back to school so he could get his bass, then swung over to pick up Mary, but they were still waiting on their food; so I took James back home, then went back to pick up Mary.  Then back to the school to pick up Deb.

I was hoping to work on a few projects on Saturday, like the bike lift and my shop (which is a bit of a cluttered mess) and the basement (which is a lot of a cluttered mess), but ended up reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo instead, and then helping James and Nathan with their camera rig project.  Then went garden shopping with Cheryl and bought a few things (blueberry bushes, strawberry plants, bee-attracting flowers), including a rotating compost bin, which Adam and Mary put then together.  We had been faking a compost bin by putting all our scraps into a couple buckets, but those were not draining as well as I had hoped, so they were staying too wet.  I'm hoping the bin works out better.

Now I'm reading the second book in the Millenium series, The Girl who Played with Fire, hoping that there will be less racy stuff and more story, but it doesn't start out so promising.  It's Swedish, after all.  What can you expect?



EsophagoGastroDuodenoscopy: medical term indicating an endoscopic examination of the esophagus, stomach (gastro-), and duodenum.

1 comment:

Judebaker said...

Dear Brother,
I sincerely hope they find out your problem. That doesn't sound good, and could it be related to the consumption of coca-cola in mass quantities? But then Dad drinks plenty of cokes and doesn't have any problems like that, so it must be something else. Perhaps an ulcerated throat from the acid reflux due to too much stress. I'm an amateur hypochondriac, in case you didn't know. I am currently involved in a case study on pre-hypertension because my text book perfect blood pressure has been a little elevated! LOL. Don't let your doctor give up on ya! Not being able to swallow must be one of the most exasperating problems imaginable. Saying a prayer for you right now.