Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Improbable Probabilities

Of all the stupid things that could go wrong at the same time...

It turns out that the problem with the new starter - the hesitation - was not the new starter after all.  It was exactly what you would suspect when you try to start the car and it hesitates.

It was the battery.

I swapped the van battery out and put in the battery from the green Subaru, and the van started up like there was nothing wrong at all.  And here I was, thinking I'd totally hosed up the starter installation by mounting it wrong or something.

Just goes to show you.  Something. I'm not sure what.

So what's the probability of both the starter and the battery going bad at the same time?

My brain obviously thought it was too low, because I was fretting about the starter all evening.  Wondering if it was a lemon. Wondering if it was mounted badly.  Wondering if the wiring had been damaged.

And all along, it was the stupid battery.

Oh, well.  At least Cheryl has her car back.

No comments: