Saturday, January 05, 2013

Reading Time!

The children love reading.  And they love being read to.   By Mom.  Because she does all the great comic voices.

In this case, she has started reading (or re-reading) Percy Jackson : The Lightning Thief, which is a story we read years ago and recently started over again.  The kids have always enjoyed that series. And now, they're enjoying it all over again!


Meanwhile, I've been out in the shop again working on the Subaru engine again.  Do you remember when I started working on that engine?  Last May.  It was supposed to be a weeklong job.  Then I ran into some broken bolt issues.  And other issues.

I'd really like to get my car fixed.  I need to take it into a machinist and have him remove the broken bolt.  And then start replacing all the gaskets and things.  Before summer.

In order to take it into the machinist, though, I had to remove some of the "clutter" from the engine.  It's too heavy to handle on my own, or even with a helper, and the shape of the thing doesn't lend itself to easy handling.  Especially with the oil pan sticking out underneath.

When I first brought it into the garage, before the heads were removed, it dangled from an engine hoist.  But the hoist wasn't mine, and I had to return it.  So I had to build a wooden rig to set the engine on in order to work on it.

The rig was kind of a kludge, basically just a few 2x4s put together in strategic places so that it had something to sit on.  The oil pan area had to be left clear.  But I couldn't imagine dragging that whole thing over to the machinist's shop; it was still too awkward.  The oil pan was going to have to come off.

So I added a mini-hoist (attached to the engine block supports) to lift it up enough to where I could get to the oil pan bolts underneath.

Hopefully by now it should be light enough for me and one of the boys to carry.  If not, I can always pull off the water pump and the oil pump as well.

No comments: