Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Another Day, Another Plague

The girls have been out sick for three days now, and that's exactly the amount of time necessary for this season's Plague (Black, Blue, or Otherwise) to descend upon my head like a sack of nails and strike me down.

I felt lousy all day.

But being the staunchly loyal, hardlyworking person that I am, I did my job, attended to my post, pulled my weight, tended to my garden, and earned my daily bread. By sitting in a software laboratory, pounding on keys all morning to convince those little bits and bytes that they should be attending properly to their own business. Which they did. Mostly.

But it was a struggle. My internals were doing some weird new kind of dance which involved alternatively pulling, punching, kicking, and biting themselves until they'd worked themselves into an absolute frenzy of indigestion, at which point they signalled me, though nefarious means, that it was Probably Time to Go Home.Which I did. Promptly.

At home, I consumed mass quantities of analgesics and caffeinated, carbonated beverages in an effort to calm the storm (so to speak), then watched part of a documentary on Ray Harryhausen which put me right out, after which I awoke only long enough to crawl upstairs and ooze into bed to simulate a Dying Whale. My most convincing performance, if I do say so myself.

Hours later, not wishing to absolve the day of any responsibility in getting Things Done, I went downstairs and ripped a huge hole in the drywall in an attempt to resolve the issue of the Hidden Plug. That is, my feeble brain finally figured out how to move the wall outlet which is completely in the wrong place at the wrong time: Since this particular outlet rests between two other outlets, I shall simply remove the offending outlet from its offensive location, re-install it in a slightly more useful position, then place another outlet on the other side of the wall, thus stretching a new wire between them. Which means I won't have to remove all the drywall in order to effect the repair. Only a six-foot by six-inch strip near the base of the wall.

Meanwhile, Deb felt well enough to go out shopping for a prom dress (and some shoes), and Mary felt well enough to eat dinner with Cheryl and I. And the cat felt well enough to fill my lap with her fur.

No comments: