Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Voting Day


I don't understand people who don't vote.

It's a Primary poll today, and time to get to the voting booth and select the candidates for state and local offices. The state of Michigan doesn't exactly make it easy on people to find out what the issues are, not like Washington does. In Washington, they put out these nice voter pamphlets with pictures of the candidates and summaries of their positions, as well as summaries of the issues that are up for a vote, and everyone gets a copy so they can read up on things even if they're doing that reading on the way to the polling station. At least they are a little informed of what is going on in the world.

I don't read the paper much, outside of the comics, and I don't watch the television to get my news, and I don't like the local news websites because they are almost as boring as the newspaper and television news, so there isn't much opportunity for me to get information about the state and local issues unless I do my own research.

But it is my civic duty to stay informed, so that my vote means something. A vote cast in ignorance is worse than no vote at all.

So I researched the issues and the people running for office by doing a bit of web surfing, talking to some people at work and at church for whom I have great respect, and then considered the facts and the opinions presented before making my selections.

Then Cheryl and I, with the girls in tow, walked to the polling place and cast our votes.

How hard can that be?

It was nice to go to the school and see the old ladies sitting at the tables, the volunteers who verify residency and hand out the ballots and answer questions. It's gratifying when they remember you from the last election, and recognize in you someone who cares about such things as civic duty and responsibility.

It's disheartening to put the ballot in the machine and read the electronic tally of the number of ballots cast thus far. Pitifully low.

Where are all the voters? Are they all waiting for the last minute? Are they (hopefully) finishing up their research on the issues before showing up?

Or are they sitting at home, watching TV and thinking, "Eh, it doesn't really matter. It's just a Primary." "My vote doesn't really count." "My wife and I cancel each other out." "I don't want to miss the game."

Just once, I'd like to see 100% voter turnout, just to see what people really believe. That would be a very interesting election.

If they had all done their research.

If they had all paid attention back in High School Government class.

If they really understood how easily the democratic process can be corrupted by those with the money and power to do so. (After several years in the Lake Stevens area, I understand. Completely.)

In the end, those who do not vote have no one to blame but themselves for the city/state/country/world in which they live. If you don't spend the time doing your duty at the polling place now, you may end up spending it on the battlefield later on - or in the concentration camp. (Think Germany 1933.)

No comments: