Wednesday, April 01, 2009

An Emotional Afternoon

It isn't easy to relax after such a tumultuous afternoon.

Sometimes it is difficult working with friends, especially if there are disagreements concerning the method in which specific work is to be done. Especially if the friend is supposed to be working for me.

I am very stubborn about the way things are done when I'm the person responsible for making sure it is done right. When I'm in charge, it will be done my way. No exceptions.

When someone disagrees with the way I've decided it should be done, they are allowed to present their arguments in order to sway that decision. If those arguments are not persuasive, in my opinion (based on twenty-five years of testing experience), then my decision is final. I have been known to change my mind and my method if someone presents a solid, logical argument.

This did not happen in this case. The argument was not persuasive; in fact, it was a rehash of an old argument which was presented a year ago and vehemently dismissed by me, and has gained no validity in the intervening period. Unfortunately, I have been unable to convince this person of the weakness of their viewpoint, mainly due to my lack of time to devote to this single issue. As a manager, I don't have time to get down into the details of every little decision; I rely on my experience and knowledge, and that of those who work for me; I also rely on the engineer's ability to explain clearly to me the reasons they disagree with me, and make their case for the alternative.

Emotional outbursts, which have always been the result of my inquiries into the subject, are not helpful in the least.

Another emotional outburst occurred today. It wouldn't have bothered me at all if the venting had been directed only at myself, but it was not. It was directed at two other people who were doing exactly what I had asked them to do. And it was they who came to me, seeking some kind of action on my part to alleviate the situation.

I don't have much choice here. I had told the engineer in question exactly what I wanted, on numerous occasions. My directions have been disregarded.

As a manager, it is now my obligation to remove this person from any responsibility concerning this area.

As a friend of this person, I agonize over what to say, and how to say it in such a way that the friendship can be preserved.

But in the end, I have to do what is right for the project.

2 comments:

virginia said...

I almost think that is an inherited trait. Hold your ground son.

The Meyer Family said...

It must be. But sometimes it makes it hard to work with people you otherwise like to be with, when they don't see things the same way. I don't want to lose the friendship, but to me, there is a right way to do things. I've heard that's a Scots trait, which is why so many Scots were involved in the Restoration movement.