Saturday, December 08, 2012

Twenty Mile Scout Hike is ... Over!

And I survived!  Barely.


We started out at 8 in the morning from Mason's house.  It had been snowing, and was snowing still. There was snow everywhere on the ground, but not on the sidewalk; it was still too warm to stick on the cement.  I didn't take any pictures on the way because the snow was wet and thick in the air and I didn't want it all over the camera.

We walked on the sidewalks along the main roads, heading west for about three miles, then south for another two or three miles, then east for five or six miles, then north again, then west again, then north, then east.   Half-way along, we stopped under a highway overpass to rest; a couple of miles later, we stopped for lunch at a Chinese restaurant.  The last leg was about eight miles.

My right hip and knee were really hurting by the time we got to the half-way point, but there was no turning back.  We had to keep going.  So I adjusted my walking style to favor my gimpy leg, and hobbled along.  By the time we ended our little venture, about three-thirty or so, my right leg felt like it was going to fall off.

But we made it.

James, who had come to Mason's house to pick me up when we were done, took the picture of me, Mason's dad, and Mason. Three happy-go-lucky guys with a successful twenty-mile hike under their belts.  Only two more ten-milers to go!

I hope we don't have to do the next one on snowshoes.
 

No comments: