Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Moment in Time, with Grease and Oil

 It's hard to find time these days to work on the engine which is sitting in my little shop as there are too many more pressing needs around the house and at the office.  The summer is rapidly coming to a close and we haven't done anything as a family that would consititute a 'vacation'; I've been too caught up with work every weekend and the kids are struggling to get all their homework done and Cheryl has lots of projects in her queue, and it seems like everyone's schedules are nuts. Most days I come home from the office completely exhausted, ready to plop down in the comfy chair and forget my troubles with a can of Coke, a bowl of chips and an episode or two of 'Bones'.

Every once in a while, though, a moment presents itself when there is just enough energy left in the old bones to get me out to the shop.  And I go out there, and I pick up a wrench or a socket or a screwdriver or something and, for a few glorious moments, it is possible to create the illusion that actual progress is being made.

Tonight I put the timing belt on and then the timing belt covers and then the intake thingie, and there was much rejoicing.  Actual hardware was placed on actual hardware, bolts were tightened, belts were adjusted, and a little hope was created.  Hope that one day soon this little engine will be placed back in the car where it belongs, and I'll finally be able to drive it again.

Hope is a good thing.

No comments: