Sunday, October 26, 2014

Rearranging the Puzzle

The garage is still a mess and there's been no time to straighten it out. Most of what has been accomplished -- if that's the right word for it -- is in the vein of deconstruction rather than reorganization. Taking everything out of the shop area and putting it (temporarily) in the second bay until I can figure out where to put everything.

I'm having difficulty with a couple items. One is the old Toyota engine which I'd hoped to "restore" one day. But since I don't have the old '86 Corolla anymore, there's really no point in having it. Craigslist? eBay? It's time to get rid of it. But it won't be easy.

Another is the tea cart I built for Beauty and the Beast back in '11. I've been using it as a kind of workbench, but it's not really designed for it, and I hesitate to tear it apart because that would destroy whatever intrinsic value it had as a prop. And Cheryl did such a nice job on the decorations!

Oh, and there's all those Subaru engine parts, the ones I'm keeping around for spares. Since I bought a used engine to replace the one that went bad in Serenity, the parts are just taking up space. And I won't have any time (or inclination) to do anything with them this winter, so I've got to come up with a place to put them. Or just get rid of them.

I had hoped to rearrange all the items in the attic and the loft this past weekend and find room for all the things that won't be needed over the winter, but didn't have enough time. And here it is, Sunday night and time to think about the upcoming week. Lots of activity this week, not much of it focused on the garage. Mostly concerts (for Cheryl) and last-minute yard/house winter prep (for me). And homework (for the kids).

One little item that was accomplished, was blowing out the irrigation lines. Can't have any pesky water in the lines once the hard freeze comes, unless one is wanting one's irrigation system destroyed! So I pulled out my handy-dandy compressor and pushed 120 pounds of air through the lines and watched the pretty mist steam out of the sprinkler heads. Sadly, the sun was at the wrong angle to get a pretty rainbow.

Oh, well. Maybe next year.


No comments: