Thursday, October 23, 2014

Trash Night

There was supposed to be great accomplishment today, Thursday, the day I can work from home without interruption and focus without distraction. Except for the interruptions and distractions. And plain ol' lack of motivation. Ever have one of those days? In Washington, it was every day when the sun shone bright. "Hey, this might never happen again!" And so the day is spent enjoying the good weather, doing outside things. Just like today. Except it wasn't outside things so much as it was not doing anything at all.

The day started out oddly. Someone (who shall remain nameless) left the car door open on Ruby (the red Subaru) and when I went outside to scrape the ice (yes, ice!) off the windows of the cars in preparation for ring-around-the-driveway, it was glowing like a crystal chandelier. Oops. Naturally, when I tried to start it up, the battery laughed at me, sputtered, and then died. Good thing no one needed to drive it today!

But I was prepared with my 75-amp cranking charger, so got the car started up in short order (only took ten minutes to charge it up enough to turn over and catch) and it was good as gold. Except for the oily burning smell from the oil dripping on the exhaust pipe. Hmmm. Gotta get that fixed.

Got the van de-iced by letting it run for ten minutes with the defroster running full-blast.  Too lazy to actually scrape the ice of the windows.

Same thing for my green one. Ten minutes of spewing noxious gases into the environment and the windows were clear enough to drive to work. Because I got called into a meeting on short notice, that's why!

But the day's news wasn't all bad -- Staples called to say that my wireless trackball had arrived, so I could go in and get it. And while I was at it, I stopped by Costco for the "usual suspects" (milk, mostly). And something for dinner, because tonight was ... tonight was ...

Busy. Cheryl had to run up north to deliver a "package" to its destination, I had to run over to the school for Robotics, James had to attend band practice. Adam was at school til late.

Then there was Jane Austen, Bones, and Grace Point. Then it was time to put out the trash. Goodness! Look at the time! I need to get to bed.

I didn't really get a chance to play with my new trackball.  But that's OK, because, as the reindeer sings, "There's always tomorrow ..."

Maybe something will get accomplished then.

No comments: