Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Stupid Appliances

Came home from work today intending to work on the basement. But decided to empty the dishwasher first.

Yuck.

Many of the dishes in the dishwasher were not clean, although it had been run. And there was a foul odor emanating from the bottom section of the appliance. Like overripe apples. I checked along the bottom seal, and it was covered with grime. Ick. I cleaned it off, but there was still a lot of grime inside. In fact, the more I looked, the more I found.

Must be time for Spring Cleaning!

So we took the dishwasher out of it's little cubby underneath the kitchen countertop and took it completely apart, nearly to its frame, and then took all the pieces out onto the back porch and gave them a good scrubbing. Then back into the house because it looked like it might rain.


That should've been enough. But, no, it wasn't.

Because lately the washing machine has been making a weird noise. Not all the time, only on certain cycles. Not sure which ones, either. I'm so un-informed!

I took it apart anyway, thinking I'd get it running and figure out what was going on by watching through the back panel.

But that didn't help. Still couldn't figure out what was going on because the noise was so intermittent.

As long as I was in the neighborhood, though, I went ahead and took the whole thing apart - top, front, back - so I could take care of some cleaning and de-rusting and stuff like that. Took about an hour or so. Had it all back together again by then, so sat behind it while a load of clothes was run through it so I could observe.


Didn't see anything obvious. But that's typical of appliances. This is just one of those tricks they play to get attention. Start making weird noises and then stop the minute you take a close look at it.

Stupid appliances.

1 comment:

virginia said...

So which is worse? noisy and malfunctioning appliances or PLUMBING that doesn't function. Well we are having the plumber (not the one who was here before) tomorrow and I hope he can get this fixed.

May our problems all go away so we can enjoy the summer.