Monday, March 27, 2017

Spring at Last! (We hope it Lasts)

Welcome to Spring!
Spring is here. We think. At least it finally got above freezing for awhile. See? The warm weather came rolling in, and right behind it, the rain.

Oh, well. I'll take warm rain over cold wind any day.

And now that Spring is here, it's time to think about windows and curtains and drapes and things. Because when the warm weather comes, it's time to open the windows and let the light come shining in! Unless you're tired of the light and want to keep things dark (like when watching movies). Or if, like me, you are paranoid about people peeking through your windows to see what you're up to.

Cheryl has been working on curtains!

Bedroom Window Open for Business
She put some really nice ones in the Suite Bedroom.

Bedroom Window Closed but still Well Lit
And even when the curtains are closed, it's still nicely lit.

Den Window Closed and Not Well Lit
It's a bit more difficult to light things up in the den because the window is underneath the deck, and that shades things a bit much. So when the curtain is closed, it is quite dark.

Kitchenette
But that's OK. Because we have lots of lights in the kitchenette!

Den Lounge Area
We also have a nice futon to lounge around on. With blankets and pillows. And a shelf unit full of board games. And a stereo.



WORKING ON ADAM'S CAR



Things have been crazy at work, so I didn't get a chance to work on the car much until Saturday.

The Shop is Open for Business!
First order of business is hanging the shingle. Or in this case, putting my sign on top of the car so everyone knows I'm in a car-working mood!

Tray O' Tools
All my tools were downstairs and I didn't feel like lugging up all my sockets one at a time, which was the major tool I was expecting to use. So I just brought up the entire tray.

A Floor is where we keep our Tools
Along with a few other tools. Without a tray. Because I didn't have a tray to bring them up in.

Wheel + Drive Axle
The patient just refused to give up his drive axle. Something about a really tight hub axle nut, requiring 250 foot-pounds of force to get it to turn. Unfortunately, I only weigh around 150 (give or take a few bowls of ice cream).

Wheel + Drive Axle + Strut + Brake Assembly
After a full day of work, the only thing I managed to accomplish was getting the wheel and the strut and the brake assembly disconnected from the car. But I could not get the wheel disconnected from the axle. Which is a critical issue, as I have to get the axle out of the way so I can replace the steering knuckle. Which is broken.

It was extremely frustrating.

And it got worse.

Because NOBODY has replacement steering knuckles for 2001 Pontiac Grand Ams. Oh, they have plenty of them for the Grand Prix, but none for the Grand Am. This is irritating. What is the deal?  Did someone buy them all up just so I couldn't find one when I need it??

Not even the local junkyards have them.

It's a conspiracy.

{Proof of the conspiracy: I finally found a site online, GM Parts Online, where I can get the part -- for $250!! That's insane!}

I finally found one on eBay for $20. Used. Ordered it. It'll be here Friday. Maybe.

And it's guaranteed not to fit.

(And that assumes I'm able to get the hub axle nut off. Anyone have 250 foot-pounds I can borrow???)

2 comments:

virginia said...

That downstairs is just beautiful. I can hardly wait to see it when we come in May.
And your little sign is just so cute.

Anonymous said...

From Jeanne: Your basement retreat looks amazing! And I hope the car fixing goes well. So not my cuppa tea. I am no mechanic, nor do I play one on tv. I couldn't even fix a broken axle on a toy car. Well, maybe given some coat hangers and duct tape, but I don't think that's gonna help the real thing. Good luck!