Monday, March 13, 2017

Morse & Murdoch

It's gotten to be a bit of a habit, really. Sitting on the couches after dinner, watching Netflix (for Murdoch) or Amazon Prime (for Morse/Endeavour). Murder mysteries, you know. Highly addictive.

We got started some time ago, so long ago that I don't remember (then again, I don't remember much anymore these days). We had started watching Inspector Morse, a BBC show about this Oxford detective. The show ran from 1987 through 2000. In 2012, they started a prequel show, Endeavour, which takes place twenty or thirty years before the original Morse, with the same characters (only younger, of course).

Then Cheryl found this other show, The Murdoch Mysteries, which is set in Toronto (Canada) in the lat 1890s. We got started watching that a few months back. It got so bad that we were whining like addicts when an evening came along and we didn't have enough time to catch an episode. Pathetic.

But all good things must come to an end. Netflix ran out of Murdoch. We're on our last season of Endeavour. What are we going to do with ourselves when it's all over?

* *

Deb went back to school after a week of Spring Break, taking her car along for the ride. She got back Saturday night and, on Sunday, purchased a parking pass so Security wouldn't tow it away. She's very happy to (finally) have her car on campus. She's got this independence streak a mile long. Can't imagine where she gets it from. Certainly not her parents.

Then our houseguest left for a business trip, leaving room for all three of the "outside" cars in the driveway: mine, Mary's, and Adam's.  I must say, it looks very odd to see the driveway not crammed full of cars, so crammed that we have to shuffle them around every night to get the order correct for the departure sequence in the morning [Mary first, then me, then Lex, then Cheryl, then Adam]. Things would be a lot easier if there was space in the garage for some of those cars, but I'm still dealing with Ruby and Serenity, my two forlorn project cars, and they aren't quite ready to leave the 'hospital' yet.

Mary's spring break is coming up, and I'm supposed to be getting ready for the Big Operation: a Differential Transplant. Sapphire [Mary's car] has an issue with the center differential (which is actually part of the back end of the transmission) so I'm going to pull the whole thing off Ruby and put it in Sapphire.  Then (hopefully) fix up the differential and re-install it into Ruby (given some time and money).

I've been watching YouTube videos on how to do it.  Looks like fun!

There's also a few cars which need some brake work. Like all of them. But Mary's is probably the worst because it brakes unevenly. Adam's is so tight, you barely have to tap it and the brakes are grabbing.  Mine are the opposite: you have to push a ways down to get 'em working. But I'm used to it.

Spring break is coming up soon. I'm trying to get a week off from work, but things are getting crazy and I'm not sure how much time I'll actually get. Did I say things are 'getting' crazy? Actually, they've been crazy since April, when I got back to GE.  Programs behind schedule, over-budget, never enough time or people to get the job done, everyone working long hours and not getting paid enough for it. I'm getting tired of it. But there's bills to pay. You know the drill.

* *

Snow started up again last night -- and we were so hoping winter was almost over! But there wasn't much, just a couple inches. Not even worth putting boots on. And it was so cold outside that it was just powder, brushed right off the cars like dust.

So we didn't get much of anything, but the weatherman says the Northeast is going to get hit hard, all that old air and moisture swirling together and rolling up the coast. Makes me wonder how my old friends over in Long Island are handling it. Well, they've handled hurricanes and snowstorms and other things, they'll probably just shrug and carry on. What else can they do?

Around here, we're just thankful that there hasn't been that much of a winter this year. Not sure if it's "global warming" or just a normal cyclical thing (I tend to favor the cyclical thing just because it annoys my children), but my back is enjoying the respite from shoveling. Last year was a bit worse than this year, and my back ached for a long time afterward. And the year before that - ooh! that was a bad one. For my back, I mean.

There is a snowblower around here somewhere, but since I get so little exercise during the winter months outside of working my jaw-bone, I figure the shoveling is good for me so don't even bother with the thing. Besides, it's loud and fuming and tosses the snow up into the air where it lands in my face (especially when the wind is blowing the wrong direction) and needs that icky gas & oil mix, which is a pain. So I try not to use it if I don't have to. And so long as my back holds out, I don't have to.

But this two inches ... sheesh! Hardly worth the trouble of brooming off the sidewalk.

* *

Mary got it into her head to make cookies this week, so we've been stuffing ourselves silly with 'em. Peanut-butter and coconut (from Grandma Green's dough) and some kind of fluffy chocolate with powdered sugar concoction. Can't remember what they're called, but they are sinfully delicious. They go great with a glass of cold milk, too. Now I'm making myself hungry.

Pardon me while I take a break for awhile....

2 comments:

virginia said...

Realllly enjoyed your blog this morning. I do look every morning for something from you.
Your sister Jan is in New York City this week. Hope she isn't freezing. Said she wasn't but it sounds cold to me. She is supposed to fly home Friday morning, close on her house, and be ready to make the big move on Monday.
I know this comment section isn't for letters but it will do for this morning.

Have a great week.

Love from mom.
Ps. Patches is growing like a weed, probably will have it's eyes open by friday.

Robert L Meyer said...

I keep trying to write every day, but life just keeps getting in the way. Sorry about that. Maybe when I retire, I'll get better at it!

Isn't it going to be weird not having Jan around? I really can't imagine her not being in her beautiful little house in Abilene. With cats. Can't wait to see what she does with her next house! Assuming she actually gets to spend some time there...