Friday, January 01, 2010

At Long Last, Wireless (Again)

It's been bugging me for several weeks now. The built-in wireless network card in my laptop has not been working properly ever since the Windows 7 Release Candidate was installed. It shuts itself off after five or ten minutes, usually right in the middle of a video download.

I went on the user forums and found that it was a common problem, something related to a default power-saving setting on the wireless card driver. Unfortunately, the driver that came with my original Vista O/S didn't allow me to change the setting.

When I finally went to the Dell site and downloaded the latest drivers, it gave me a message indicating that the drivers were incompatible with my operating system.

OK.

I was on the verge of re-installing my old Vista O/S -- this is the one what self-destructed after automatically downloading an "update" -- when suddenly, during a reboot, the new driver went ahead and installed itself (regardless of the fact that the O/S is not "compatible"). Ever since, the wireless has been working fine.

Which means now I can sit upstairs with Cheryl and watch the news and surf the net at the same time! Yay!

No comments: