Thursday, January 28, 2010

Coffee

I've been getting up every morning this week at 6 a.m. instead of 7 a.m. to prepare the coffee, using the extra-big pot because we now have two coffee drinkers in the family.

James complained last week of feeling very tired in the morning, so Cheryl suggested perhaps he should have some coffee in the morning. I wasn't sure if she was joking or not. But he agreed with her assessment, so Monday morning, I got up early and made the extra pot and waited to see what would happen.

He had half a cup with a packet of cocoa and some half-and-half that first morning, which was 'a bit strong'; but he drank it down and went off to school. Afterward, he reported being 'perky' during the first few classes.

Well, that sounded hopeful.

The next morning, we tried the formula a little different. This time, he made the cocoa first by mixing the packet with half a cup of hot water, then poured in the coffee, then added a bit of 1/2-&-1/2. A little bit cooler, a little bit more mocha-esque. Didn't quite get to the 'perky' status of the day before, but close.

He's continued this habit throughout the remainder of the week, so he must be enjoying it. Or he's just determined to do whatever it takes to ensure that he remains awake in his classes. It will be interesting to see how long this endures. I have fantasies of my mom and my wife and my son sitting down at the breakfast table with coffee in hand, laughing and enjoying each other's company. I'm not a coffee fan, but I love to watch other people drinking it together in a slightly conspiratorial fashion. It reminds me of the importance of good fellowship, especially in a family.

3 comments:

virginia said...

come on down and I will really enjoy the coffee with Cheryl and James. You can sip your Coke and Roy can do his tea.

Judebaker said...

I'll bring my 10 cup pot next time we're all at the farm. Caleb likes coffee too.

Jeanne said...

Brendon's mom used to give him coffee before school because he was too "perky!" That was back before Ritalin...