Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back Braking

Before I begin today's exciting episode ...




There, I feel better now.

Didn't get as much done around the house as I was hoping. Too tired. Had such a wonderful time yesterday, hanging out with Cheryl, wandering through Meijer Gardens, admiring the sculpture and art, then going out for some dinner at Arnie's (while the kids did their own home-made pizza dinner ... at home). Such a lovely evening. Then slept in this morning, and had trouble getting up. Spent too much time puttering around in the morning, didn't feel up to anything energetic. Then, around noon, Cheryl and I took James up north to meet his girlfriend, stopping at the store for some groceries.

Finally got up the energy to do some real work, cleaning up the clutter that'd been hanging around the garage. Summer projects to take apart and store, insulation to put up in the attic, all sorts of other miscellaneous tasks. While listening to bluegrass and folk music from the local bluegrass and folk music radio station.

And after dinner, there were cookies.

One of the reasons that things haven't been getting done around here, is that my lower back has been aching. At first, it felt like a muscle got pulled, but after a while, when the pain had not abated, and there were flashes of pain running down my leg, it occurred to me that it was more symptomatic of a pinched nerve than a pulled muscle.

It wouldn't surprise me. There seems to be some history in the family of pinched nerves. I don't recall that anyone else has mentioned it being in the lower back, but mine has always been in this same area (and recurred relatively often) for about the past ten years or so. I used to have a back brace which I wore every time it flared up, and that helped a great deal; but it wasn't to be found anywhere in the house or garage this time, so it was necessary to purchase another one.

It helped. After wearing it yesterday and today, most of the day, my ability to lean over and lift tiny objects is greatly improved. Heavy objects are still off-limits, but it feels as though that might be possible soon enough.

Meanwhile, the back deck is all cleaned off, the attic is slightly warmer, much of the clutter in the garage is put away, and there are still warm cookies on the stove. Yum!

7 comments:

ToiLET ApPLe said...

were the cookies good?

The Meyer Family said...

The cookies were yummy! Unfortunately, they never seem to last as long as my appetite.

Judebaker said...

Tried yoga?

Judebaker said...

Have you tried yoga? Yogurt tastes better, but it won't help your back.

The Meyer Family said...

I love a good conversation, Jude. Especially about something near and dear to my heart, like computers. I'll get more into that later. But to answer your other questions: No, I've not tried yoga, but I've tried yogurt, and lately I've had this thing for blueberry yogurt on top of chocolate ice cream. The yogurt helps my digestive system (which doesn't work very well on its own), and the chocolate ice cream indulges my love for sugary sweets. Of course, I have to be very careful not to overdo it, so I limit my intake to once a week or so. Depending on my mood. Which has been down lately, due to the depressing nature of my lack of interest in work lately.

The Meyer Family said...

Arg!! Sorry, Jude, I accidentally deleted your post. Your conversational one. About how you didn't realize how much I was into the computer scene. (Did you know I was also into horror movies, early SNL, sci-fi, LOTR, and trying to build my own rocket ships?) Shows how much the old computer geeks can't handle these new-fangled website controls. We won't go into details about the latest Facebook fiasco.

Unknown said...

Hello everyone on here my name is Fumo Sadiku living in Malindi City Kenyan I want to tell a little more about a good hearten man called Benjamin Breil Lee working with funding service as loan officer, Mr Benjamin Breil Lee helped me get a loan of 37,115,225.00 Shillings on my trying time trying to get back on my feet to raise my business I know there are some of you here who are in financial difficulties to talk to Mr Benjamin on what's app +1-989-394-3740 Or  also with his personal E-mail on 247officedept@gmail.com I'm so glad for what he did for me and for his Bank accountant as well Accountant Hernandez Lucas Thank you very much for your work well done.