Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve is Here, and We're Still Cooking!

And I'm still working on my Christmas cards.

Can you tell I'm not a card-writer? Nor a letter-writer? Well, at least not by hand. I've done most of my writing on the keyboard since about 1981, when I got my first typewriter (for graduation), and never turned back. Even now, if I try to write a letter, a simple one-page missive, my hand cramps up something awful and my fingers go on strike.

We have quite a long list of goodies to bake today. Pies, cakes, cookies, etc. I don't have any idea who is going to eat it all. Certainly not us! We're going to give it away, mostly, to anyone we find wandering around the streets looking hungry. Or hesitant. Or bored. We consider it our duty to stuff the gills of anyone we find, simply for the joy of seeing their insulin spike off the charts. What fun!

Naturally, we'll ask to make sure they're not diabetic first.

Meanwhile, there is a Christmas Eve service tonight, and then a Christmas Day service tomorrow, and I haven't gotten a single thing accomplished on my housework list. (This is the list that encompasses the numerous activities involved with finishing the basement.) Just been sitting around doing stuff with the family. And watching movies. And eating chocolate-covered peanut butter balls. Which are very yummy. But highly fattening.

Oh, there was also the struggle to help a Boy Scout get through his merit badges before he ages out on Christmas Day. He's trying to get to Eagle beforehand, and just needed 3 more badges to complete. So the past week has been interspersed with various Eagle-related activities. Building shelves in the church. Finishing Personal Management, Physical Fitness, and Family Life badges. Which all have 90-day requirements (i.e. the Scout has to log 90 days of specific activities). These are not good requirements to leave to the last minute! Ask Brason or Mahlon; they know!

Well, back to my card-writing.

Anyone got a spare hand I can borrow?

No comments: