Sunday, November 01, 2015

October Ends

It's been one of those weeks that are too busy to think, to busy to take a moment to consider what one is doing long enough to write down any thoughts, so I'll sum things up.

I was so relieved at the end of last week thinking that Marching Band might actually be over and there would finally be time to finish up the basement. Then frustrated because Ruby started acting up again and I was spending too much time trying to solve the mystery.

So Monday after everyone got home I pulled her into the garage and took off the air intakes and looked around on the backside of the engine, but didn't see anything other than little pools of coolant on the topside. Let her run for awhile and as soon as the thermostat kicked over, sending volumes of coolant through the pipe under the intake manifold, green fluid started dripping apace. Not a spray, but enough to worry about.

Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do at the time because there was no time to tear into the engine, so I just filled up the coolant reservoir and shut it down for the night. Figured I'd check it again after Deb brings it home after school on Tuesday.

Tuesday was the inside concert for the Marching Band so I didn't work on the car. Went with Cheryl to the concert and had a wonderful time listening to the band and talking to all of our friends and then getting some ice cream from the store afterward so we could celebrate the success of the "season" when we got home. Still kind of tired, not ready to work on anything yet.

Got to work on Wednesday and heard the news that one of the guys at work -- not someone I worked with directly -- had died suddenly. Apparently suffered a heart attack while at his desk, was rushed to the hospital, then died before they could do anything for him. Kind of alarming. He was only a few years older than me.

That isn't the way I want to go. Not while sitting at my desk. Not at work. Ick.

After work, I was able to go to the school and watch Mary practice her part for the school play. She looked like she was having fun! I'm really hoping she enjoys theater.

Added more coolant to Ruby before bedtime. Still didn't have enough time to actually take a look and find out where the leak is.

On Thursday, I went out to lunch at Le Kabob with some friends from work. Had a yummy vegetable Lamb soup with Falafel.

After work, Cheryl and I went to the high school, she for the Orchestra concert and I for the Robotics meeting. The electrical mentor showed the kids how to make lemon batteries, and pickle lights. There wasn't much for me to do, so I went back to the Orchestra concert and sat with Cheryl and enjoyed the last half-hour or so. Then we went home. Tired.

There was a party after work at Dave & Buster's to celebrate our successful month of simulation demonstrations -- paid for by the Department -- so I went there and had a delicious root-beer float while yammering to one of my best friends. Then it was time to head home for a date with Cheryl. We went to Olive Garden and bumped into some friends from church! How cool is that?

Yesterday (Saturday) I worked all day long on the car, tearing it apart to try and figure out where the stupid leak was occurring. Didn't really find anything obvious, but decided to replace all the hoses in and around the intake manifold anyway. Surely one of them is the problem, since that's where the coolant appears!

Problem is, a lot of those radiator hoses are special-made, molded to shape, special-order only. Which I didn't have time to do. So I went to the auto parts store and grabbed some random hoses and tried to make do. But they weren't right, so I ended up taking them back and just getting some flexible hardened hose from NAPA, and that seemed to work. Finally.

At least, it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore. Deb drove it around some and there wasn't a puddle sitting underneath the car when she got back.

Maybe now I can get back to working on that basement ... !

No comments: