Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sorry, I'm too busy to work today...

It all started back in '03 when I got laid off, and spent three months hanging out at the house, enjoying the lazy life.

It was awesome.

The stress disappeared. The chest pains ceased. The headaches abated. I was finally getting enough sleep. Eating breakfast with the kids. Taking them to school. Getting involved, too. Picking up the kids after school. Helping out with chess club.

Inevitably, the bills piled up, the money got short, and it was time to get back onto the treadmill of work.

Now I find it more and more difficult to care about work. I'd rather be at home with the family. It would be better if I'd kept to the old schedule, getting up at 4:30 in the morning and heading off to work, getting home at four or five after a ten-hour day. But, no, I'm spoiled now. This summer, I get up around 7 with the kids, make breakfast, then do home-school until nine-thirty or ten, go off to work until four of five, take the kids to the pool for an hour before dinner, spend the evening with the family, put the kids to bed, then catch up on work for a couple hours to get in my eight.

But I don't really have a passion or commitment to the work thing right now. It's not fun anymore, not as much fun as being at home, anyway.

If only they'd pay me to stay at home...

No comments: