Friday, May 01, 2009

Fifth Day of Vacation

The allergies hit hard today. I woke up with a headache and a stuffed-up nose and a scratchy throat. Took the meds and went back to bed (after doing the breakfast thing with the kids) and stayed there until nine. Then got up and went to work.

The main goal of the day was to put up the new, improved (thicker) wall between James' room and the rec room, but first, the old thin (2x3) wall had to go. It had been up now for several months and I'd gotten used to it; in fact, it was already wired with outlets so it could support my Computer Cave operations. But that had to go as well, now that the wall thickness was changing.














It wasn't too hard to pull the old wall out. The most difficult part was disconnecting the wiring, but I've gotten pretty good at that operation lately, after installing so many outlets on the outer walls. And then the new wall had to go up where we're planning on putting the kitchenette. And then the wiring that had been pulled from the old wall needed to be installed in a new outlet on the new wall.

Next, it was time to build a wall.

I'm using a very standardized plan for each wall. Two 4-foot plates, top and bottom, with five 91-inch studs, fourteen inches apart. Laid on the floor for assembly, it takes about twenty minutes to drill the holes and put the screws in place.


Here's one of the closet walls being built.














Now here it is in the raised position.


















Oops! Ran out of lumber. Time for a Home Depot run!


















Got my lumber, now I can build another wall.

And here is my other wall being built. This will be the angled wall for the closet.













And here it is in its place!

Now it's almost done.

I'm too tired to keep going, so I'm going to hit the sack and pick this up in the morning. Good-night!

No comments: