Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Game of Sleep

I didn't mean to fall asleep, but it was three in the morning and my eyes were tired.

We went out to the monthly Game Night at Larry Joe's house, leaving Cheryl and Deborah at home (since Deb wasn't feeling completely well yet) - Mary, James, Adam and I. It's mostly for Adam that we go, he of the Heroscape fanatical bent, but Mary and James will dive into a quick board game when the mood strikes them.

We brought the Heroscape gear and a little card game as well; it was the card game which got going first, though, owing to the familiarity with which most of the other attendees had with the game. One round into the three-round game, Adam dropped out to start a Heroscape match with someone else, leaving the rest of us to finish up. Took us a good hour to do so, but we did.

My energy level dropped off rapidly at that point, it being nearly ten o'clock, so while the kids found other distractions, I curled up on the couch and closed my eyes and let the white noise of the various gameplay wash over me like a warm blanket.

At some point, while my brain was still quite fuzzy, Larry Joe came over and told me that it would be perfectly fine if I wanted to go on home and leave Adam there with the rest of the serious gamers; he'd bring him home when everyone was done. Knowing that Adam lives for these Game Nights, and knowing there was no way I could last as long as he can under those circumstances (i.e. in a competitive environment), I agreed to his proposal.

Some time later, Mary and James were ready to go, so we gathered up all our things and walked out to the car and drove down the street - and then I remembered through the ancient creakings of my fuzzy brain that I'd forgotten my laptop! So we turned around, drove back, snuck in, grabbed the laptop, snuck out again, drove down the street, arrived home, and got everyone to bed.

I sat on the couch, waiting, til Adam got home. And tried to stay awake. Really. But some time around two-thirty or three o'clock, my eyes shut and my body went into sleep mode. Then at three-thirty in the morning, a noise at the front door awoke me. It was Adam, brought home by Larry Joe. Yay! Now it was time to go to bed.

Almost.

First, Adam had to tell me about his gaming experience.

So we didn't end up getting to sleep until somewhere around four in the morning.

Now you know why I slept in til ten this morning.

(Yawn)

No comments: